Friday, June 13, 2008

Ramblings of the Written Kind: #1

One of my biggest failings when I write is that I constantly and consistently start and stop... and then do not continue when I pick up again. Instead, I start all anew. It definitely makes for a very unfruitful use of my writing for sure. However - I also tend to like the bits on their own for what they are - the memories they bring and the feelings they evoke.

I used to post on thisisby.us, and do still love that community to bits, it's just a bit of a task to write there, as it requires trying my hardest to keep the "me" out of "me"... so instead, I figured I'd post a few things here...

Here is a bit, I dug out of the heap...

Somewhere along the way, our relationship had turned into an old pair of jeans, the ones you basically love and wear to death. The hole of our fight had been patched lovingly, caringly, and slowly - with strong thread that not only bound the woven fabric of two existence planes of our partnership together, but interconnected them in a way that to the average eye, made them seem like one. But like those old pair of jeans, as time went by, the patch proved stronger than the original whole.

Bit by bit, just as every pair of jeans eventually do, the greater original base of who we were slowly wore away, and eventually, the only part that remained was the patch alone. We had turned ourselves into a woven scab of tiptoes and glances that were wholly evident in all our conversations and truths. Only a shadow of our original connection lay hidden under the patchwork we created – destined to forever be obscured for the sake of holding it all together. Oh to glance at the remnants of our original selves one last time – but no. Such an action would only kill all that is left, and leave a patch unto itself – something meaningless and no longer useful because its purpose had completely fallen away.

No comments: