Monday, July 21, 2008

Europe Day 18: All-day drive to Athens

Close to the end
Well – we’re basically on the last leg of the trip now. Apparently we have an entire day of driving – literally. I think Leona said our plan was to have breaks every 2.5 hours – but they seriously will simply be breaks and not really any “stops” to see or do anything. I kind of expected it when I was checking out maps of Greece before we left and was trying to think of how we were going to get from Corfu to Athens – however, even I thought we were going to be taking a more direct route. Instead – I think we’re going in some roundabout way on the outer rim…crazy long.

On the Ferry again
Well – we have to hop on the ferry again to get to the mainland, but at least this ride is only 30 minutes. We’re all feeling the affects of the sun today after our tryst in Corfu – and yet we all opted to hang out on the top deck to watch the ride. I believe we are all crazy – especially H-Rabbit and Caitlyn M. since they are already fairly sunburned.

Last glimpse of the water up close
It is definitely sad to know we won’t be getting this close to the ocean again on the trip. A lot of the other group members have booked additional side trips after our tour ends to go to the Greek islands of Mykonos and Santorini. We just didn’t have the time to do it since we have to get back for Meghan’s wedding. It’s disappointing – since Santorini is where the world’s idea of the look of Greece comes from. Apparently there isn’t anywhere else in Greece that truly looks like Santorini, and yet, that island has become what people associate as the “look” of Greece the world over. Oh well – I guess that just means we need to definitely come back.

Snagged the front
When we landed, I decided that for once – I was getting the front seat. I truly didn’t mind for pretty much the whole tour – but I got a chance to look at some of the scenery bus pictures I’ve been taking and they simply aren’t coming out as great as I had hoped. I figured then that the only way to get a few better shots is to grab a seat where I can shoot out the front window. Some of the front “regulars” probably weren’t too happy with me – but seriously, playing those kind of school-age bus games doesn’t really matter to me.

Breaks and a bridge
We made a quick stop for bathrooms and snacks early on in the trip – nothing much to report. But on the second leg we came upon the Rio-Antirrio Bridge that links from the ridge islands to the mainland of Greece. Leona said that we were crossing the Gulf of Corinth near Patras, and that the bridge was originally thought of and planned ages ago – however the technology needed to build it didn’t exist. Finally it was built in the 1990s. Let me just say – it’s a huge bridge, and a little crazy to cross since it’s only about 4 lanes wide.

Gyros for Lunch
I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the town we’re stopping in – Leona keeps saying it but I either keep missing it or am not hearing her right at all. Anyhow – apparently we’re stopping at a place expecting us and Leona can put in our order for now. We’re going to a Gyro place and we can order however much we want of chicken or beef or pork gyros. They’re only 2 euros each and are fairly huge. Most people are ordering two but driving on this bus for so long has made me lethargic and I’m not up to eating so very much.

Canadians in the bathroom
Funny enough – as we stopped for lunch – and also used the restaurant stop for a bathroom break – Heather and I ran into another Canadian in the washroom with her kids. She had married a Greek man as was now living in Greece with her family – but all she wanted to talk to us about was how she wanted to go back to Canada so badly – she wished she could convince her husband to go back. Strange encounter indeed.

Sorry, but there ARE gyros in Toronto
Leona was telling everyone on the bus how they have to get Gyros cause they don’t have them (good gyros) anywhere else but here in Greece – and I kind of sat there dumbfounded. She most definitely has never been to Toronto. What I do admit is that our Greek restaurants do have the Gyros meal style many times more than in wraps – whereas I only ever saw Gyros sandwiches while in Greece – the fact remains that the rest of the world has indeed been introduced to the gyro. Lately – I have realized that I am extremely bugged by other’s ignorance of the world at large – I need to figure out a way to not let that bug me so much so I’m not angry at people all the time – cause ignorance of this kind seems to be a fairly rampant thing.


Too hot to handle
So – what I’ve forgotten to mention was that now that we were traveling along on the mainland – the awesome, sea-faring weather we experienced in the islands is simply non-existent inland. There are no cool breezes, no windswept updrafts, nor the fresh smell of the sea. Instead – it is hot, hot, hot! 40 degrees Celsius hot! And so yeah – me and my asthma ain’t so happy.

The Corinth Canal
We made our second stop before the last leg of the trip to Athens at a rest stop situated beside the Corinth Canal. It was really neat to see the enormity of the man-made break between the Peloponnesian peninsula and Greece’s mainland. We walked out onto a pretty thin 2-lane bridge that crossed it to take a look right down into it – pretty thrilling to say the least. I didn’t spend too much time taking a look as the heat and being in the dusty outdoors did a huge number on my breathing – but I was glad I took the initiative to go out and see it anyway instead of staying in the rest stop. I’m hoping my breathing doesn’t ruin my time in Athens.

Arriving in Athens
Driving through Athens was definitely a trip, and it was neat to seem surrounded by “mounts” of purpose. What I am most surprised about though is the… filth, I guess. We’re staying pretty much right downtown in Athens – not far at all from the Plaka area and the Acropolis – and while there is a ton of awesome culture and history evident here – it is also highly disappointing in how modernity has brought the filth, crime and disintegration of urban sprawl to the city as well. Our hotel is okay – but the rooms aren’t awesome – however the rooftop pool and bar more than make up for it.
Our last night together
While we have a few more days here in Athens – this is actually out last night together as a tour group. We’re going to be breaking ranks tomorrow at noon after our Athens tour, so we’re all heading out for a huge Grecian meal in the Plaka area.

Another dinner for the record books
The romance, fun and “life” of the Plaka area are absolutely enthralling. Our dinner was amazing, once again stuffing us to the brim with a ton of food and many, many courses. We all went picture happy trying to capture the end of our trip with one another. As a closing night dinner, it was pretty satisfying and it will definitely be sad to leave the group we’ve come to enjoy spending so much time with. We were treated to a bit more traditional Greek dancing as well through the night, and managed to wrap up while some of the stalls in the Plaka were still open. Some of the girls made plans to return tomorrow and we promised ourselves we would definitely be back to experience the Plaka on our own terms during our extra time here.

Nighttime over the rooftops of Athens
When we returned from dinner we joined everyone upstairs at the pool and bar on the roof of the hotel for a last drink together. The view up there was beyond amazing. You can look upon many of the historical ruins aloft on their mountaintops from where we are. I hope the pictures turn out – I also hope one day to have the same experience again. I firmly believe now that you haven’t experience a city until you experience it at night – daytime just doesn’t have the same aura and electricity.



Crazy tour in the hot, hot sun tomorrow
Title says it all – need some sleep ASAP – plus, we need to prepare to switch to our second hotel in Athens since we opted to stay elsewhere during our own time here. Need to get packing again… and sleep!

No comments: